National Reconciliation Week 2020: In this together, online, and ongoing
National Reconciliation Week (NRW) 2020 will be celebrated entirely online, a way of life we have all become very familiar with in the past couple of months.
“As this year’s National Reconciliation Week theme says, we are In this together,” said Reconciliation Australia’s Chief Executive Officer, Karen Mundine.
“That theme is resonating now in ways we could not have foreseen but it reminds us whether in a crisis or in reconciliation, we are all in this together!
“Our program of online events and activities mean we can still be In this together while being apart.”
“Like other important dates we commemorate, the purpose remains the same even if the way we mark it is different,” said Ms Mundine
“We are launching the week on Wednesday 27 May by asking everyone to take to social media to Acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the Country they are on – a way we can all be In this together while being apart.”
2020 marks twenty years since 250,000 Australians walked across the Sydney Harbour Bridge and across bridges in all capital cities and many other cities and towns around the country.
“The reconciliation bridge walks marked a shift in our national consciousness and twenty years later more than 90% of Australians now support reconciliation, with 80% believing in the importance of formal truth telling processes,” said Ms Mundine.
We’re suggesting 20 ways you can be in this together in 2020: here’s a few to start:
- Be part of the National Acknowledgement of Country: To launch National Reconciliation Week, Reconciliation Australia is asking everyone to take to social media to acknowledge Country from 12pm Wednesday 27 May
- Watch the Panel Discussion about the 2000 bridge walks for reconciliation: Facebook live on Reconciliation Australia Facebook page and ABC Facebook pages. 12pm – 1pm Thursday 28 May
- Show us your bridge walk photo!Were you on a walk for reconciliation in the year 2000 anywhere in Australia? Add your photo and story about your reconciliation bridge walk to social media on the anniversary of the Sydney bridge walk Thursday 28 May #NRW2020 #InThisTogether2020
- Tune in to In Concert Together: Reconciliation Australia and ABC bring you Busby Marou, Alice Skye, and Jimblah in concert, hosted by Christine Anuon her National Evenings show on ABC Radio AND on Facebook live on Reconciliation Australia Facebook page and ABC Facebook pages. 9pm – 10pm Friday 29 May
- Hire a film for online watching from Reconciliation Film Club
Check out our 20 ways you can be #InThisTogether2020 suggestions and more info at nrw.reconciliation.org.au